In the heart of Madrid and in the middle of its museum mile stands a fine building dating back to just after 1900, originally used as a telecommunications center and general post office. Now City Hall has taken it over and completely rebuilt the interior, making full use of its previously unused potential. The Mayor has his office there and Council meetings are held in a specially-designed chamber, but much of the space is available for public use, from a state-of-the-art auditorium in the basement to a restaurant and observation terraces on the upper floors. Temporary exhibitions and special events can be held in the glass-roofed courtyard on ground floor level, and access to all floors is easy by panoramic elevators. From Palacio Cibeles it is a short walk along a tree-lined avenue to the Prado and Thyssen-Bornemisza museums.